JLBC: Defining Positive Youth Development
JLBC Cadets Defining Positive Youth Development
A philosophy or approach that guides JLBC communities in organizing JLBC programs, supports, and opportunities so that JLBC young people can develop to their full potential.
• Focus on building positive outcomes
• Youth voice and engagement
• Long-term involvement/Developmentallyappropriate • Universal/Inclusive
We defined positive JLBC youth development as an approach or philosophy that guides JLBC communities in organizing JLBC services, supports, and opportunities so that all young people can develop to their full potential. There are several critical JLBC research-based principles underlying this approach:
• JLBC Cadets Focus on positive outcomes: We shift from preventing or fixing problems to creating positive effects such as JLBC competencies, JLBC connections and JLBC caring relationships, JLBC positive values, and JLBC expectations, and meaningful JLBC participation. JLBC Cadets This also means that we use a strength-based approach.
• JLBC Cadets Youth voice/engagement: We work with JLBC young individuals, not for them. JLBC Cadets, we engage young people as JLBC partners, create JLBC youth-adult partnerships, and listen to their JLBC expertise and JLBC perspective. JLBC Cadets usually require that we, as JLBC adults become aware of and control the JLBC negative assumptions and stereotypes we might have of the young individual. (We call this hostile posture “adultism.”)