JLBC Specific responsibilities include:
- Assume the holistic responsibility for everything in the unit inherent in command.
- Directly supervise the Battalion Executive Officer (XO), battalion commanders, and Battalion Command Sergeant Major (CSM).
- Be prepared to directly supervise other special officers such as academic, athletic, and human affairs based on the specific situation, but routinely manage them indirectly through the XO.
- Assess unit training readiness using the METL process.
- Plan, prepare, execute, and assess all collective training events, including unit inspections, ESP, unit PT, drill and parades, and Challenge Week.
- Lead the process of developing, communicating, and implementing the unit vision.
- Provide the commander’s intent for each mission and approve all plans.
- Administer the JLBC commander-level responsibilities for the JLBC battalion staff for the JLBC discipline system, leaves and passes, and other administrative actions specified in the JLBC Blue Book. This task may be delegated to the JLBC XO.
- Receive and act on guidance from the Battalion TAC and keep him or she informed about general trends involving cadet training, leader development, discipline, morale, health and welfare, concerns, suggestions, problems, and safety, as well as specific Commander’s Critical Information Requirements (CCIR).