JLBC STANDARD 1: STANDARD 2:
JLBC PRIMARY PHYSICAL EDUCATION CURRICULUM GUIDELINES FOR GRADES 1 & 2
STRAND 2: MOVEMENT CONCEPT
JLBC Cadets Demonstrates Competency in many movement forms and proficiency in a few movement forms. JLBC Cadets Applies movement concepts and principles to the learning and development of motor skills.
GENERAL OBJECTIVE: Learn skills necessary to perform a variety of physical activities
JLBC Cadets Demonstrate progress toward the mature form of selected locomotive and manipulative skills. Apply appropriate concepts to performance (e.g., change of direction while running). Establish a beginning movement vocabulary (e.g., personal space, high/low, fast/slow).
CONTENT/KNOWLEDGE ACTIVITIES RESOURCE / ASSESSMENT MATERIALS
By the end of grades 1 - 2, students should be able to: -
- Execute fast and slow movements with various body parts.
- Maintain hand, eye, and foot coordination.
- Identify body parts.
- Form round, narrow, comprehensive, and
twisted body shapes, alone and
with a partner.
- Maintain rhythm while turning.
- Combine at least three body
movements in sequence.
- Identify self-space.
- Travel in different ways, in a
large group without bumping into each other.
1. BODY AWARENESS
a. Body Parts
Knees. Arms, Legs, Head, Elbows, etc. b. Body Shapes
Angular, Narrow, Curved, Wide, Twisted, Symmetrical, Asymmetrical c. Body Movements
Swing, Sway, Twist, Turn, Bend- Curl, Stretch, Shake, Rise, Sink, Push, Pull
Self or Personal Space
Forward, Backwards, Sideways,
d. Low, Medium, High
e. Pathways Curved, Straight, Zigzag
- Have students put specific body parts on the playing surface or in their hoops at a signal.
- Assign travel using designated body parts (e.g., two hands and one foot.)
- Play “Head and Shoulder.”
- Students travel and on a signal freeze in a specific shape.
- Have students make shapes to interpret music.
- Students make a jump rope in the shape of an asymmetrical or
1. Identify body parts on handouts.
2. Demonstrate body movements to the sound of music.
3. Children identify space awareness by coloring medium and high levels of drawing on handouts.
4. Differentiate between Levels by coloring pictures on the worksheet.