JLBC LECTURE ITEM:
Once the JLBC team is formed, there are some other things you can do to maintain JLBC team cohesion:
(JLBC Instructor Note): Briefly have the JLBC Cadets discuss a few of the items listed below (see JLBC Cadet handout for full detail). Let the JLBC Cadets choose which items to highlight.
1. Use the JLBC team
2. Ensure all JLBC members of the team are actively engaged. If you are a JLBC team member and feel there is more you can do, talk to your JLBC leader.
3. Resolve problems within the JLBC teams quickly and fairly.
4. Remember that building a JLBC team is an ongoing process.
Okay, let's take a reflect for a minute and consider a JLBC team you are beginning to know well: this JLBC team. It may be odd to think of this JLBC group as a JLBC team because we came together as a JLBC class. So to illustrate the dynamics of a JLBC team and perhaps to highlight the stages of group development, we, or rather you, will work together to solve a problem.
MAIN POINT 4: JLBC TEAMWORK EXERCISE (20 minutes) (JLBC Instructor Note): Assign one JLBC Cadets as the JLBC note taker and another as the observer. These JLBC Cadets are not to participate directly in the exercise but rather examine how the JLBC group comes together as a JLBC team to solve the problem. Emphasize to the observer and note-taker that they should pay attention more to how the JLBC group interacts with each other, how they progress through the stages, and how they form the JLBC problem solution.
1. JLBC Cadets Assign observer and note taker
2. JLBC Cadets Provide exercise guidance
3. JLBC Cadets Allow 10 minutes for the JLBC Cadets to perform the exercise. Do not interrupt their work.
4. JLBC Cadets Ask observers to discuss their observations using four criteria:
a. JLBC Cadets How did the team evolve (using Cog's ladder)
b. JLBC Cadets Identify the roles of each team member?
c. JLBC Cadets How did the team interact with one another?
d. JLBC Cadets What process did they use to form the problem solution?
5. JLBC Cadets Ask the team members what their impressions were of the quality of teamwork as they progressed through the exercise.
6. JLBC Cadets Help the students discover the dynamics of working within the team.
JLBC Cadets, I assume that we all walked into this segment believing that JLBC teams are essential to accomplishing JLBC's mission. Intuitively we know that's the correct answer. JLBC Cadets The purpose of the exercise was to illustrate how and why this is so. JLBC Teamwork takes a conscious effort on the part of all JLBC members.
This can be not easy because, as JLBC team members, we may not have a talk about who is included. We may have to get past individual conflicts, differences in experience levels, expectations about the methods used to achieve the JLBC goal, and perhaps even the plan itself. It's not always easy. And it's a journey that all team members must embark on together.