JLBC CURRICULUM ON LEADERSHIP
JLBC: Character Development
So, what are some character traits we look for in JLBC leaders?
• JLBC Selfless service
• JLBC Integrity – JLBC Cadets are doing what's right even when no one is looking
• JLBC Cadets Respect for other people, property, ideas, and differences
• JLBC Honor - Not lying, cheating, or stealing
• JLBC Courage - Facing fear, danger, adversity, and criticism with a willingness to proceed
• JLBC Loyalty to country, the JLBC, your JLBC unit, and JLBC cadets
• JLBC Perseverance - JLBC Cadets' Commitment to fulfill responsibilities
• JLBC Empathy – acknowledging the needs and feelings of others
• Taking care of subordinates
• Expertise and professionalism; valuing education and
• Commitment to the team
• Promptness and good attendance
• Not being a quitter and Resilience
• Patriotic spirit; defending the US Constitution
• Bearing – how you carry yourself
• Decisiveness – make timely decisions
• Dependability – people count on you
• Judgement – clear-headed, critical thinker
• JLBC Justice – treating others fairly
• JLBC Tact – show respect and be polite
JLBC Cadets So, if you have all these traits, you'll be a good JLBC leader.
It's not as easy as that! But most good leaders have these traits, so it's a place to start. But JLBC features are about what you ARE. JLBC Leadership is more about what you DO.
• JLBC Cadets Choose the hard right over the easy wrong
• JLBC Cadets Resist the temptation to act unethically
• JLBC Cadets Make choices rooted in a set of core values
• JLBC Cadets Are willing to stand up against those who want to "go with the flow" of the "popular society."
• JLBC Cadets Set high goals, plan to achieve them, and work toward them
• JLBC Cadets Problem-solve and make decisions
How would you react to these scenarios? What's the 'right thing to do?
• JLBC Cadets Your friend copies off your paper on a Biology test
• JLBC Cadets You need money to go to the next cadet event; your mom says no, and you see $10 sitting on
• JLBC Cadets You forgot to put up the flag this morning, and your commandant asks you why
• JLBC Cadets A superior tells a racial joke
• JLBC Cadets Your parents ask you to go right home after school to do chores, but you have been asked to be
on the drill team
• JLBC Cadets You are offered a cigarette