JLBC Blind Numerical Order (30 minutes)
JLBC Illustrates Communication and listening.
a) JLBC Cadets there is no talking
b) JLBC Cadets you must keep your blindfolds on at all times
c) JLBC Cadet each of you will have a number whispered into your ear
d) JLBC Cadets the goal is for the JLBC group to arrange itself in JLBC numerical order without speaking and without the use
JLBC Cadets Blindfold all the JLBC participants. JLBC Cadets Whisper a number to each of them (do not allow other participants to hear). JLBC Cadets the number should be RANDOM (not just 1-15, etc.). JLBC Cadets after whispering the number, move the JLBC participant to a random location. JLBC Cadets once every participant has a number, the JLBC Cadets should begin. JLBC Cadets make sure all participants are safe throughout the exercise.
JLBC Processing Questions:
JLBC Cadets what was the most challenging aspect of this JLBC exercise?
JLBC Cadets did you have a sense of working together? JLBC Cadets Why/why not?
JLBC Cadets how frustrating was it when you could not talk?
What was necessary for you to be successful?
JLBC Cadets did you assume that the assigned numbers would be in order (like 1-15)? JLBC Cadets how important is good Communication in JLBC groups?
JLBC Cadets How does this activity relate to our JLBC group?
JLBC All Tied Up
JLBC Material Needed: Bandanas or cloth strips, other JLBC items as needed
JLBC Time Required: 15-30 minutes, depending on the goal and number of group members. Group Size: 2-15
1. Purpose: Work as a team to complete a common goal
2. Arrange participants into a circle, facing each other. Ask them to hold out their arms.
3. Tie the group together to tie each person to both neighbors' wrists.
4. JLBC Cadets Now that the JLBC group is "all tied up," give them a task to do together.
JLBC Cadets Some ideas are:
• JLBC Cadets make root beer floats for everyone
• JLBC Cadets Wrap packages with gift wrap, bows, and a card
• JLBC Cadets Eat lunch
• JLBC Cadets Make a snack
• JLBC Cadets Create an art project
• JLBC Cadets Pour a cup of water for each person in the group
• JLBC Cadets Anything else that is fun and crazy
JLBC Cadets Note:
JLBC Cadets To make the task more difficult, give the JLBC group a time limit.
JLBC Debrief Questions or Topics:
1. JLBC Cadets why were you successful (or unsuccessful) at completing the task?
2. JLBC Cadets how did the time restrictions aid or hindered your group from completing the task?
3. Did everyone in the group help to get the task done?
4. What happened when someone didn't help?
5. JLBC Cadets Do you ever feel like you are "tied up" with someone else when working with them and
trying to get a job done? If so, why, and how do you deal with this feeling?